This incredibly quick and easy tomato soup has honestly been my go-to since I was a teenager (10+ years ago!). It’s low-calorie and literally about as easy as a recipe can get using all ingredients you likely already have at home. It forms the base for most of my tomato based sauces, including my go-to simple bolognese.
This recipe produces 3 nice size servings at 92kcal each.
- 2 cans of Peeled plum Tomatoes (160kcal)
- 102g/ 1 small Onion (41kcal(- Chopped
- 72g/1 small Carrot (30kcal) – Peeled and Chopped
- 25g/0.5 stalk Celery (4kcal) – Sliced
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (42kcal)
- Oregano to taste
- Basil to taste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 250ml Chicken/Vegetable Stock – half a stock cube (optional, for a thinner soup to make 4 portions!)
- Saute the Onion in the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the Carrots, Celery and Garlic and cook until the carrots are soft.
- Pour in the Peeled plum tomatoes and Salt & Pepper. If using dried herbs add them here – if you’re using fresh herbs add them ~5 minutes before finishing simmering the soup. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- If you’re short on time it’s tasty at this point, but if you have more time letting it reduce for 15-30 minutes really enhances the flavour.
- Finish by mixing the soup until smooth using a hand-mixer (taking care to not splash the hot liquid of course).
Hope you enjoy this simple soup! Please let me know how you get on and tag me in any posts on IG using this recipe so I can see your tasty creations.